Ascension Church
Ascension Church
The Catholic parish church of Ascension was once the burial ground for the old cemetery, which was converted into a park in 1924. On the afternoon of May 23, 1743 - it was Ascension Day - the building inspector handed over the keys to the church to the consistory and Superintendent Olearius opened the four doors.
During the war years of 1812-1813, it was used as a magazine and military hospital. After its renovation, the Gottesackerkirche was consecrated again - again on Ascension Day - in 1831. In 1974, the Catholic community acquired the building from the Protestant church.
The area surrounding the church was established as a cemetery in 1537. This is where 25 members of the Bach family found their final resting place. The princely crypt, the grave of Emilie Linsky, Willibald Alexis and the Arnstadt writer Eugenie John, among others, are still preserved.
Incidentally, the small house next to the Ascension Church was built in 1841 and was once the home of the cemetery gardener.
Details
Germany
Arnstadt
99310
Krappgartenstrasse 24