Millstone carving museum
Millstone carving museum
The ancient craft of millstone production had a long tradition in Crawinkel. Millstones from Crawinkel were first mentioned in documents in 1519. Over 350 years later, around 1875, there were still 11 millstone workshops in the village, which produced over 600 millstones a year. The quarries supplying them were located far from the village on the Lütsche and Borzel rivers
The tradition of millstone carving is preserved today in Germany's only millstone carving museum. Set up in Crawinkel's "Old Mill" in 2012, the museum is also dedicated to instrument making. Crawinkel's instrument makers produced high-quality violins and zithers that were known far beyond the country's borders.
Tip:
In the museum, the special exhibition "Over 100 years of shaping world history" also provides information about the legendary Compiège saloon car, in which the armistice between Germany and the Western powers France and Great Britain to end the First World War was signed in November 2018. The carriage became important once again in June 1940, when France signed Germany's armistice terms. At the end of the Second World War, the saloon car was destroyed at Crawinkl station.
Details
Germany
Ohrdruf OT Crawinkel
99885
Große Bahnhofstraße 10