Princely crypt
Princely crypt
One of the most beautiful places of remembrance of the classical and post-classical period: the new Gottesacker in Weimar, solemnly consecrated in 1818. It is considered the successor to St. Jacob's Cemetery. From 1823 to 1828, Grand Duke Carl August had the princely crypt built by Chief Building Director Clemens Wenzeslaus Coudray at what was then the southern end of the cemetery. It served as the final resting place of the princely family. Goethe's and Schiller's sarcophagi can also be seen in the princely crypt. In 1835, the southern extension of the complex was built above the princely crypt. The Russian Orthodox Chapel for Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna, who came from Russia, was built on the south side of the Princely Crypt between 1860 and 1862 according to plans by senior building director Ferdinand Streichhan.
Details
Germany
Weimar
99423
Historical Graveyard at the Poseck Garden