Church of the Brethren
Church of the Brethren
The Brüderkirche is the jewel on Altenburg's main market square. Next to the church tower, a mosaic of Jesus Christ's Sermon on the Mount can be seen from afar on the gable side.
Due to their outstanding acoustics, these sacred halls are not only in demand for church services. The "Weltladen" with its café invites you to linger.
The foundation stone for the church was laid on May 14, 1902. Its name "Brüderkirche" refers to its predecessor building, which was demolished in 1901 due to dilapidation and lack of space. Franciscan monks, also known as the "Friars Minor", had built their monastery and the monastery church here in the 13th century.
The new building, designed by prize-winner Jürgen Kröger, was completed between 1902 and 1904. After the demolition of the old Franciscan church in 1901, only the walled-up princely crypt from 1627 remained. The old pulpit from 1561 was added to the collection of the Osterland History and Antiquities Research Society. It was made by Marcus Fleischer from Waldenburg. The consecration of the new Brethren Church took place on May 7, 1905.
Since 1996, there has been a carillon under the roof of the 76 m high church tower. This sounds from 7.55 a.m. to midnight, always five minutes before the hour. The first verse of three songs is played. There is also a chime at 7.40 am that calls the children to school and one at 3.25 pm. The latter is aimed specifically at tourists and visitors to Skatstadt.
The specified opening hours may vary.
Details
Germany
Altenburg
04600
Bürdergasse 11