Edelhof Mittelsömmern
Edelhof Mittelsömmern
According to tradition, it was once built as a moated castle and later served as the seat of various noble families for centuries. The former knight's seat was then owned by the noble Lords of Husen. However, the estate was not a written estate, but was ultimately only an official manor, which was subject to the Langensalza office.
After several estate owners (e.g. the von Dachröden family), the manor changed hands in 1807 to the von Feilitsch family, who sold the estate's land to a consortium of 10 inhabitants from Mittelsömmern for 20,000 thalers. With the sale of the manor lands, the municipality of Mittelsömmern acquired the manor house in 1831 and from then on used it for communal purposes. The interior rooms on the first floor and first floor have been used as a restaurant and cultural space for the community since the 19th century. The community hall was added in 1912 to celebrate the wedding of the village mayor's daughter.
Since the 1940s, it has been possible to reconstruct the façade thanks to the preservation of historical monuments.
The name "Edelhof" first appeared in the 19th century. The former manor house can be visited on Open Monument Day on the 2nd weekend in September.
The first floor and second floor of the three-storey building consist of approximately one meter thick quarry stone masonry. The other floors were built in their current form between 1558 and 1560 as half-timbered structures with richly decorated sills, frames and rosettes. The post and beam construction is partly made of oak beams with a cross-section of 35 x 35 cm. On the south side of the roof there are two dwarf houses as decorative elements, which were probably used as servants' quarters due to their internal arrangement. Each pillar is protected by closely adjoining struts and a carved, sun-like palmette is attached above these 3 wooden elements. Also worth seeing is the small cross-vaulted chamber, which is in good structural condition and is said to have once served as the family's chapel. The façade has been reconstructed since the 1940s thanks to conservation work. The roof and the vertical dwarf gables give the old building a stately appearance and are a reminder of the former glory and wealth of the von Hausen family.
Details
Germany
Mittelsömmern
99955
Am Schenksberg 59