Reichenfels stone cross
Reichenfels stone cross
Just a stone's throw away from the Reichenfels Museum and the castle ruins is a 2.40 m high stone cross carved from red Falka sandstone, which was erected around 1804.
It was part of the Henry XLIII of Reuss-Köstritz planned landscape park around the former Reichenfels Castle. However, the prince's romantic project failed for financial reasons. What remains is the cross, which, with the date 1412, was intended to simulate old age in keeping with the taste of the time.
A small path leads from the lower courtyard Path to the cross. In front of it is a large flat stone with a hole that is always filled with water - no matter how dry the times are. And, of course, there is also a Sageas there are many around Reichenfels and Hohenleuben. The members of the Vogtländische Altertumsforschenden Verein zu Hohenleuben (VAVH), which was founded in 1825, were the first to write down and collect all these legends. This in turn attracted famous personalities to Hohenleuben and Reichenfels, where the association ran its own museum with its constantly growing antique collections and library.
The Grimm brothers, Konrad Duden, Ludwig Bechstein, Rudolf Virchow and Robert Eisel - to name but a few - were members of the VAVH in the 19th century. To this day, the Vogtland Antiquities Research Association works on researching and communicating Vogtland history and, with the support of the town of Hohenleuben, maintains the Reichenfels Museum, which preserves and exhibits the extensive collections.
Details
Germany
Hohenleuben OT Reichenfels
07958
Reichenfels 1