Former town pharmacy Saalfeld
Former town pharmacy Saalfeld
In the 17th century, the mint master Hans Jacob erected the building in the late Renaissance style. In the Middle Ages, the Marienhospital was located on this site. It was destroyed in the great city fire of 1517. After frequent changes of ownership, Doctor Johann Friedrich Buchka acquired the building in the 18th century. He set up the town pharmacy there.
Pharmacists once processed numerous raw materials from plants, animals and the earth here in an expert manner. In addition to medicine, they also produced confectionery, chocolate, marzipan, ink, grease and pomade. The façade design is notable for the portal decorated with ironwork ornaments and the two dwarf houses, which are extremely richly structured with columns, pilasters, cranked entablature, volutes and allegorical figures. The courtyard of the complex is framed by outbuildings with arcades.
Details
Germany
Saalfeld/Saale
07318
Saalstraße 11