Armory Bad Berka
Armory Bad Berka
Duke Ernst August had this striking building erected in 1739 to house his many hunting utensils. Wagons, sledges, carriages and poles were stored on the first floor of the 59-metre-long building. He had hunting cloths, rags, nets etc. stored on the upper floor. After 1808, however, the Berka hunting arsenal was hardly ever used. The arsenal served a variety of purposes: as a store for hay, wood, leaves and as a sheepfold. During the Second World War, it was even used to store the clothing of Jews who had been killed in German concentration camps. Between 1945 and 1991, a furniture factory was located in the arsenal. After extensive renovation, the building now serves as a community center for the town of Bad Berka and houses the library, the town archives, a multi-purpose hall, bowling alley and restaurant.
Details
Germany
Bad Berka
99438
Zeughausplatz 11