Diezhäuschen
Diezhäuschen
Above Elisabethenburg Castle lies "Meiningen's most beautiful balcony", one of the town's most idyllic vantage points. From here, you have a magnificent view over the entire town of Meiningen with its historic buildings and sights.
The circular hiking trail "Der Meininger" leads directly past the Diezhäuschen.
The name Diezhäuschen goes back to the Meiningen court painter and councillor Samuel Friedrich Diez, who also dedicated himself to beautifying Meiningen's surroundings during his time in Meiningen. With the Marienverein, founded in 1856 and named after Duchess Marie of Saxe-Meiningen, he dedicated himself to the creation of viewpoints and the signposting of hiking trails, among other things. It was under his leadership, together with the Meininger Künstlerklause, that the Marienbild in the Haßfurtschlucht gorge to the west of the Diezhäuschen was created.
In 1868, the Diezhäuschen was built on the Bielstein, which was named after Samuel Friedrich Diez. In honour of its founder, the Marienverein Meiningen inscribed the following slogan: "To the excellent man and capable artist Samuel Diez, who taught us to recognize and enjoy the beauty of the region in grateful memory."
In 2013, the Diezhäuschen fell victim to a fire. For the town and its residents, there was no question of rebuilding it. The rebuilt Diezhäuschen was then officially opened in July 2016. Since then, the new building has risen 80 cm above the old foundations and offers an even more beautiful view of Meiningen.
Details
Germany
Meiningen
98617