Franciscan monastery Kerbscher Berg
Franciscan monastery Kerbscher Berg
The Franciscan monastery Kerbscher Berg is a former Franciscan monastery on the Kerbscher Berg in Dingelstädt in Thuringia, located in a landscape conservation area surrounded by around 200 lime trees.
The Franciscan monastery was established in 1864 with the construction of the first wing of the building. It belonged to the Saxon Franciscan Province (Saxonia). After completion in 1866, the monastery was consecrated by Bishop Konrad Martin of Paderborn. In 1875, the monastery was dissolved as a result of the Prussian Kulturkampf until its restoration in 1887. In 1889 and 1890, construction work on the current church was resumed. From 1899 to 1901, the monastery was extended again with the construction of a south wing.
From 1918, monastic life flourished, but the National Socialists finally put an end to it in 1944 by confiscating the house. After the war, the Franciscans were able to return to their domicile in 1946.
Since 1961, the convent has been the site of the annual diocesan women's pilgrimage. From 1966 to 1992, the monastery functioned as a joint novitiate monastery of the Saxonia and Silesia provinces for the Franciscans in the GDR. The order gave up the monastery in 1994. Members of the women's community of the "Society of St. Ursula" - the Ursulines for short - then moved into the convent buildings. The diocese of Erfurt took over the site and set up a family center, which opened in 1997. The house and garden were subsequently redesigned accordingly and the church was renovated.
Details
Germany
Dingelstädt
37351
Kefferhäuser Street 24