Blobach
Blobach
This square offers an impressive view of the medieval town - the inner town wall with its system of ramparts and moats and an aqueduct that was only rediscovered in 2001. From around 1292, the Breitsülze stream was channelled into the upper town via this aqueduct. By means of a specially constructed 5 km canal with a minimal gradient of only 1.80 m, the stream was led from its source to the town, where it drove the Antoniusmühle just beyond the wall and then branched out into several street streams. Right next to it, the monument to Thomas Müntzer, created by Will Lammert in 1957, commemorates the radical reformer who worked in Mühlhausen in 1524/25 and was executed outside the town after his defeat in the Peasants' War. The location of the former Middle Frauentor is marked in the pavement in front of the Inner Frauentor, the only surviving part of the inner city wall, which was built in 1655. The name "Frauentor" comes from the fact that the street leads through to St. Mary's Church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The Raben and Hospitalturm towers, the suburban church of St. Petri and, within the town wall, the ridge turret of the hospital chapel of St. Antoinus, the central tower of St. Mary's Church, the highest church tower in Thuringia, the towers of St. Jacob's Church and all the other church and town wall towers have earned Mühlhausen the nickname of the tower-adorned town. If we turn our gaze to the west, it falls on the impressive Outer Women's Gate, the last reminder of the former outer city wall, which also protected the suburbs from the middle of the 14th century in addition to the city center. Johannisstraße, named after St. John's Chapel, which was demolished in 1577, leads from the Outer Lady's Gate along the northern Blobach. The riding hall of the Prussian Uhlans stationed in Mühlhausen was built on its site in the 19th century.
In the Middle Ages, the water from the Breitsülzenbach stream running alongside the road was used to water the woody flax stalks, which were then "blown" (beaten) to separate them from the linen fibers inside. This gave the "Blo(w)bach" its name. Flax cultivation for linen weaving was replaced by cheaper cotton in the 19th century.
The garrison witness house (No. 1a), built in 1845, and a residential building on the site of the Blobachsmühle mill, which was built in 1313 and burnt down in 1983, complete the square to the west. The Boniface Chapel in the southern row of houses, built in 1851, was the first sacred building of the Catholic community, which was re-established after the end of the imperial city period in 1802.
In addition to its mundane use as a parking lot close to the city center, the Blobach also serves as a fairground during the spring festival and the city fair, the highlight of the traditional folk festivals.
Details
Germany
Mulhouse
99974
Blobach