Historic town hall
Historic town hall
Three architecturally completely different buildings make up the town hall complex today. The southern building from 1905, the northern building with late Gothic elements and the central building - the "Steinerne Kemenate" - from 1419. Together with the Gothic town church of St. Georg, the Todenwarthsche Kemenate and half-timbered houses in Franconian frame construction, the town hall impressively surrounds Schmalkalder Altmarkt.
Among other things, you can see the town hall:
The entire coats of arms of the members of the Schmalkaldic League, the Renaissance sculpture of a lion from 1583 - as a sign of Hesse's sole rule over the town of Schmalkalden, the bust of Luther - created by the Berlin artist Wieland Förster (erected in 1996), an oversized town view "Schmalkalden around 1600" (1937/38), the town coat of arms above the town hall door - with lion and hen as a symbol of the dual rule (1360-1583) by the Henneberg counts and the Hessian landgraves.
Details
Germany
Schmalkalden
98574
Altmarkt 1