Gospiteroda
Gospiteroda
Gospiteroda was founded in the Middle Ages in the course of clearing the land. Gospiteroda was first mentioned in 1346 in a document from the Georgenthal monastery under the name "Gotzbrechterode". There was a manor in the middle of the village, the original documents of which were destroyed during the Thirty Years' War. The estate included numerous stables, barns, the tavern and the brewery. A fountain in the estate courtyard was fed by a wooden pipe from the ponds southwest of Gospiteroda.
During the Thirty Years' War, the lord of the manor had the church built opposite the manor house. It was intended to serve as a fortress and was probably connected to the manor house by an underground passage. This was suggested by subsidence, which was carelessly filled in in the past. The estate was owned by the Imperial Counts of Hohenlohe, who transferred hereditary jurisdiction to the Duchy of Gotha in 1842 and the administration of the judgeship to the Tenneberg judicial office.
The estate was later sold to the Wedekinds. A plaque in the nave commemorates this family. The last owner of the estate, Fräulein von Wedekind, handed the estate over to an administrator. After his death, the estate fell to the parish. It was distributed among 47 neighbors for a small sum.
The village, which at that time consisted of around 200 inhabitants, lived from agriculture, livestock farming and day labor on the estate. The Kleiber was a notable guild. Kleibing is an activity used in Thuringian half-timbered construction, which was mastered by some citizens. The Gospiteroda Kleiber moved out into the surrounding villages and filled the timber framework with clay.
In the following centuries up to the present day, war and peace, times of hardship and times of prosperity have alternated. The two world wars of 1914-1918 and 1939-1945 were probably the worst times in the last century. Many soldiers did not return from the wars. After 1945, the population of the village increased many times over due to resettlers.
After the end of the war, the American armed forces moved into Gospiteroda for a short time. After negotiations between the victorious powers of the war, our area was handed over to the armed forces of the then Soviet Union.
From 1945-1960, the majority of the inhabitants farmed their fields as individual farmers. As there were many small farms that only fed their owners fairly and poorly, many residents worked on farms in the surrounding area. After the LPG "Einigkeit" was founded in 1960, agricultural crop and animal production was carried out jointly.
From 1990 onwards, decisive changes took place in Gospiteroda! The former village has become a pretty little town.
The local bakers and butchers are popular stores and attract customers from all over the region to Gospiteroda with their quality products. The large playground is also a popular playground for children from the surrounding area. The adjacent festival pavilion is often booked for celebrations of all kinds. The cultural association, the funfair association and the fire department association are the pillars of cultural life in the village. Among other things, they support projects and organize local festivals.
Since January 1, 2020, Gospiteroda has been a district of the rural municipality of Georgenthal.
Details
Germany
Georgenthal/Thür. Forest OT Gospiteroda
99887