Dörna parish
Dörna parish
The church, which stands on the site of several previous buildings, is the last Protestant place of worship on the road leading from Mühlhausen to the Catholic Eichsfeld. The first attempt to implement the Reformation dates back to the years 1523-1525. In 1525, the year of the Peasants' War, the village and church were completely destroyed. Just one year later, however, the chronicle records the consecration of the rebuilt church and in 1557 the Reformation was finally secured. A new church building was completed in 1620, but only a dozen years later - the Thirty Years' War was raging - it was reduced to rubble. A generation later, there was a church again, albeit a simple building. In 1725, it was demolished and the construction of today's baroque church began on an enlarged ground plan. Over the years, there was enough money for an organ, an altar made in a Mühlhausen workshop and the lavish painting of the ceiling by Hermann Bauer from Mühlhausen.