Rastenberg town wall
Rastenberg town wall
In 1711, the old town wall, an earthen wall with a wooden shingle roof, was renewed and replaced by a solid stone wall.
The CITY WALL stretched from below the cemetery to the Streitholz.
The wall mainly protected the south and west sides of the city and thus prevented unhindered access.
The two gates, the upper gate on Kirchallee and the lower gate in Untertorstraße, gave access to the town of Rastenberg. These were the only entrances to the town. The breakthroughs in Lossaer Straße and Neue Straße were only built in the 1940s.
The OBERTOR was built over with a house and housed the municipal servant's apartment. A small courtyard with a garden adjoined it on the outskirts of the town, where the small fountain stands today. The town gate was also destroyed in the great town fire of 1824 and was not rebuilt.
The UNTERTOR was the site of the former burghers' prison, the Arreststube. This was demolished as early as 1801. Until the KONSUM children's holiday camp was built in the 1970s, two gate pillars still stood. One pillar fell victim to the building work.
There are two defensive towers with embrasures between the town gates. The towers are still very well preserved. The moat in front of the wall was filled in in 1842 and the areas were planted with chestnut trees.
There is a memorial stone carved into the wall at the upper gate, the writing is already very weathered. It reads:
"con Deo et di MDCCXI" which means: "With God and this day the wall and towers were built in 1711."
The regency of the then Duke Wilhelm Ernst of Saxony and other names of the government were also mentioned.
Details
Germany
Rastenberg
99636
Market 1