Marolterode
Marolterode
Marolterode is located south-east of Schlotheim on the 1027 country road in the triangle formed by the towns of Mühlhausen, Sondershausen and Bad Langensalza. Marolterode appears to be an old village. Excavations in the village have uncovered finds that point to a Germanic settlement.
The village of "Malterode" was probably first mentioned around the year 1288. The exact number is not yet known. According to a document from 1305, Günther von Schwarzburg granted the Volkenroda monastery customs rights over the village. In 1580, the names "Marroda", "Maroldishausen" or "Maroldshausen" appear in documents for the village. From the end of the 17th century, the form Marolterode can be found. The name points to a place that once lived from horse breeding, as the place name is derived from the word "Marolt", a term for horse owners.
The village changed hands several times over the centuries. Initially belonging to the territory of the Landgraves of Thuringia, it later passed to Elector Moritz of Saxony, then to Count Heise von Lutterberg and finally into the possession of the monastery in Schlotheim. Since 2019, Marolterode has belonged to the rural municipality of Nottertal-Heilinger Höhen.
Marolterode is a good starting point for hikes and cycle tours away from the crowds. The 26 km long Mühlhausen-Schlotheim-Ebeleben railroad cycle path and various hiking trails to Volkenroda Monastery or through the Heiliger Heights are ideal for active recreation.
Details
Germany
Marolterode
99994