Ägidien Chapel
Ägidien Chapel
The stone chapel named after St. Aegidius is located on the north side of the Naumburg Cathedral.
The chapel of the Ägidienkurie is one of the originally numerous private chapels of the canons. The two-story chapel building was constructed at the beginning of the 13th century, at about the same time as the construction of the second, late Romanesque Naumburg Cathedral began. Although the curia was first mentioned in a document in 1305, the architectural style and the shape of the capitals indicate that it was built at an earlier time. Worth seeing is a Romanesque tympanum, preserved in parts, with the depiction of the legend of St. Aegidius.
The dome-shaped vaulted room is singular in Central Germany and impresses with its acoustics. The chapel is used, among other things, for concert events (series: chapel concerts of the Naumburg Cathedral).
Details
Germany
Naumburg
06618
Cathedral Square 16/17