Old Blankenberg paper mill
Old Blankenberg paper mill
The Rosenthal paper mill on the Rennsteig in Blankenberg is now a museum in Blankenberg called Alte Papierfabrik Blankenberg. At the time, the factory was part of the Rosenthal pulp and paper factory in Blankenstein. From 2001 to November 2008, the museum was privately owned and then passed into municipal ownership. A mill at this location is mentioned in a document as early as 1371, when Emperor Charles IV and his son Wenceslas bought the fortress of Blankenberg from the bailiffs of Gera on March 23rd. This is the watermill, which is still shown on a map from 1757, but no longer exists today. The aforementioned map also mentions a paper mill, which was owned by the paper merchant Johann Wolfgang Rahm from 1784. According to as yet unconfirmed information, this is said to have existed as a grinding mill around 1700 and as a paper mill shortly after 1730. Around 1787, the paper miller Adam Erdmann Flinsch leased it and shortly afterwards purchased the paper mill. Ferdinand Traugott Flinsch introduced mechanical paper production in Blankenberg in 1843. The Flinsch brothers were the owners until 1894. On December 6, 1894, the plant was sold to Gotthelf Anton Wiede, the owner of Wiedes Papierfabrik Rosenthal in neighboring Blankenstein. The purchased property consisted of a paper mill with accessories, forest, meadows and fields and the old Katzenhammer hammer mill together with a residential building and stables and the village house no. 102. The manor house with garden and an 80-hectare forest on the Bavarian side were also added. In 1899, the Wolfstein was added with its own hunting rights.
Details
Germany
Rosenthal am Rennsteig OT Blankenberg
07366
Issigauer Street 22