Bibra
Bibra
In the valley of the stream of the same name, approx. 12 km south of Meiningen, lies the former imperial knighthood town. Bibra was first mentioned in a deed of donation to the Fulda monastery in 825. Emperor Frederick III granted Bibra market rights in 1486 and it has been a market town ever since. The von Bibra family with its coat of arms, the beaver, left clear traces of its activities. The most important of these was the cathedral provost of Würzburg, Dr. Kilian von Bibra, who, as the main donor, laid the foundation stone for the construction of the prestigious church of St. Leo in Bibra on 14 July 1492, in which important Tilman Riemenschneider altars can be found. For a long time, the Bibra family was associated with Würzburg and Franconia. Lorenz and Konrad zu Bibra resided as Bishop of Würzburg and Duke of Franconia.
Three important buildings have survived the village's eventful history: the castle, the Lower Castle and the church. The Lower Bibra Castle was built in 1558 and is one of the most beautiful stone-built residential buildings from the Renaissance period in the area.
The castle, which is surrounded by a moat and walls - some of which still have remnants of the former battlements - and has eight towers (four corner towers and four central towers), is still an impressive sight in an elevated position in the center of the village. The revolutionary preacher Hans Hut worked in Bibra as a church servant, who hosted Thomas Müntzer here in 1524 and called for "all Oberkait to be beaten to death" from the pulpit during the Peasants' War.
Bibra currently has 582 inhabitants living on a district area of 970 ha.
Details
Germany
Grabfeld OT Bibra
98631