Burghausen
Burghausen
The district of Burghausen lies at the south-western foot and slope of the Michelsberg, which at 404 m above sea level is one of the highest elevations of shell limestone in the southern Rhön foothills. The name and origins of the village are probably connected with the prehistoric refuge castle on the high plateau of the Michelsberg. For many centuries, Burghausen and Reichenbach shared the use of St. Michael's Chapel and the churchyard on the mountain, but belonged to the parish of Burglauer, which was initially occupied by the Teutonic Knights and from 1612 by the Augustinian monastery in Münnerstadt. In 1986, Burghausen celebrated the 800th anniversary of the first mention of the town's name in a Fulda document from 1186, which documents an exchange of goods between the Abbot of Fulda and the Hennebergs. For centuries from 1286, Burghausen was predominantly a Zinsdorf of the Münnerstädter Kommende of the Teutonic Order. It must also have been these lords of the order who initiated the planting and cultivation of numerous vineyards in the Burghausen area. As everywhere in our immediate region, viticulture was largely abandoned in the 19th century. There was already a small chapel in the center of the village in 1720, as the hunting map of Münnerstadt from that year clearly shows. However, until its destruction by lightning in 1806, St. Michael's Church on the hill remained the actual branch of the parish of Burglauer, surrounded by a walled churchyard, which housed the deceased of the parishes of Burghausen and Reichenbach until 1830. It was only at this time that the two villages established their own cemeteries close to each other; after St. Michael's Chapel on the hill was not rebuilt, the village community erected the present church on the western edge of the village in 1875. Burghausen was incorporated into Münnerstadt at the beginning of 1972.
Details
Germany
Münnerstadt OT Burghausen
97702