Craula cross
Craula cross
Around 1920, only the old field name "Vor dem Kreuz" (in front of the cross) was a reminder that a cross had stood here.
Adolf Giese from Oesterbehringen finally rediscovered the cross in 1928, which was a weathered stone protruding from the forest floor. This was followed by the recovery, restoration and re-erection of the Craula cross. The cross had been missing again since 1955. It was probably pushed into the ground by timber trucks. In 1994, a replica of the cross was erected again at the same spot on the initiative of the Rennsteigverein 1896 e.V. OG Hainich-Rennstieg.
The number "157." is carved on the front of the stone cross. It is assumed that the Craula cross was created between 1570 and 1579 in memory of an unknown person who lost his life on this spot.
Details
Germany
Hörselberg-Hainich OT Craula
99820