Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Wigbertus Hermstedt
Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Wigbertus Hermstedt
The Protestant-Lutheran church of St. Wigbertus, named after the abbot and missionary Wigbert, is located on Dorfstraße in Hermstedt, a district of the town and rural community of Bad Sulza in the Weimarer Land district of Thuringia. The parish of Hermstedt belongs to the parish of Apolda III in the Apolda-Buttstädt church district.
The earliest traces of a church date back to the 14th century. The hall church, parts of which are still Romanesque today, has a recessed, rectangular early Gothic choir. The heavily chamfered ogival windows were probably only inserted during the reconstruction after a fire in 1641. In 1848, its roof tower in the east was given an eight-sided slate-covered extension, in which the belfry is located. It is crowned by a dome with a lantern.
A bronze bell cast in 1742 by Johann Christoph Rose (Apolda) hangs in the belfry. It was delivered to Ilsenburg to be melted down during the Second World War (11-23-90 B) and was retrieved on February 4, 1948. It rings together with a cast iron bell made in 1919 by Schilling & Lattermann (Apolda and Morgenröthe-Rautenkranz).
The interior, which is covered by a wooden barrel roof, has three-sided, two-storey galleries. The pulpit altar with its architectural structure dates from the 18th century, the chalice-shaped, unadorned baptismal font from the 16th/17th century. The angular triumphal arch is also worth seeing.
The organ was built in 1829 by Johann August Poppe. Its parts have been removed and the organ case on the second gallery is now empty.
The church was completely renovated between 1992 and 2006.
The weather vane shows the year 1998.
Details
Germany
Bad Sulza OT Hermstedt
99518
Hermstedter Street 1