Breitenheerda Protestant Church
Breitenheerda Protestant Church
The Lutheran village church in the middle of the cemetery was built in the Neo-Romanesque style as a hall church. The ashlar structure is built on the foundations of the medieval predecessor building. The church was built between 1895 and 1897 with stones from the adjacent quarry in Tännichberg to the east. The single-nave church building has a square tower with a tent roof and a round-arched portal on the west side. The nave was furnished with gravestones of the Schönefeld family and a triptych, which is exhibited in the Weimar City Palace.
Due to damage to the roof and infestation by dry rot, the church unfortunately came to the brink of decay in the course of the GDR times. With the support of the Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz (German Foundation for the Protection of Monuments), the roof truss was repaired, the roofing and drainage was done, and the windows were replaced in 2001.
Since 2013 the parish Breitenheerda belongs to the parish Remda.
Details
Germany
Rudolstadt OT Breitenheerda
07407