Gumperda
Gumperda
Gumperda is a municipality in the south-west of the Saale-Holzland district in Thuringia and part of the Südliches Saaletal administrative community. The municipality consists of the districts of Gumperda and Röttelmisch.
Gumperda was first mentioned in a document in 876 and is one of the oldest settlements in the area, which is often called "Hutzelgrund" due to its abundance of fruit.
Gumperda Castle was opened by Siegfried Schaffner the Elder on October 3, 1867 as a teaching and educational institution and began teaching with just 5 pupils. At Easter 1926, the school became a comprehensive school with a school-leaving certificate and the first school-leaving examinations took place in March 1931. The last pupils left the "Schaffner-Kleemannsche Erziehungsanstalt" on May 8, 1945. Even today, the baroque castle built in 1730 with the building complex, the chestnut avenue, the teachers' cemetery and the playground bear witness to its former glory. After 1946, the castle was used as a state central school, central auxiliary school and apprentice hostel.
Next to the castle is the church of St. Peter and Paul from the 12th century. It was converted into a fortified church in the 15th century and was given its current appearance in the 18th century. Particular treasures are the two lintels with reliefs from the 12th century, the high Gothic winged altar and the Baroque organ.