Inner women's gate
Inner women's gate
In the northwest, the Frauentor as one of the four main gates of the inner city wall into the free and imperial city of Mulhouse.
Like all the main gates, it was designed as a double gate complex with a kennel. The inner women's gate - originally designed as a multi-storey tower - was preceded by a lower gatehouse. Between them, parapet walls flanked the gate alley. The "middle" Frauentor, so called to distinguish it from the gate of the outer city wall, was demolished in 1830. Its ground plan is shown in the street pavement. The inner Frauentor received its present appearance in 1655 after a town fire. The walled city coat of arms comes from the former portal gate. In the 19th and 20th centuries, three gates were broken into the city wall next to the gate to accommodate the ever-increasing volume of traffic.
Details
Germany
Mulhouse
99974
At the Frauentor 7