St. Gertrud parish church
St. Gertrud parish church
No matter where you look at Dingelstädt, the Catholic parish church of St. Gertrudis dominates the townscape. Dingelstädt's parish church has always been dedicated to St. Gertrude, but today's church building is no longer the same as it was. The current parish church is the third known church on this site. No one will be able to determine when the first church was built. However, it was mentioned in documents as early as the 14th century. After a fire broke out in the adjacent parish tavern on May 13, 1688, the first church building also burned to the ground. The heat was so great that the five bells melted and the metal spilled onto the street. It was later reused to make three new bells, which were consecrated in 1693. The church was rebuilt. The baroque tower was completed in 1695.
Around the middle of the 19th century, the church became too small and the decision was made to build a third new church. The old church was demolished on April 12, 1852 and consecrated by Auxiliary Bishop Joseph Freusberg of Paderborn on October 11, 1855. The new three-aisled church was built in the Gothic style. The building material was a yellowish, somewhat soft shell limestone, the so-called Mehlstein, quarried in nearby Struth and brought in by Dingelstadt farmers on Sundays. The south-facing façade is also made of red sandstone. The tower only rises up to the main cornice and is covered with a roof.
The church has a length of 50 m, a width of 22 m and a height of 19 m in the choir, 13.5 m above the nave and 21 m above the main portal.
The singing and praise in the parish church is supported by a Feith organ, which was built in 1932/33. It has 44 stops and was restored and reconstructed to almost 100 % by the organ building company Brode in Heiligenstadt between 2006 and 2009. It is one of the largest organs in the Eichsfeld region and was consecrated by Auxiliary Bishop Dr. Reinhard Hauke on 22 March 2009.
Details
Germany
Dingelstädt Eichsfeld
37351
Near the church 8