St. Mary's Church Saalburg
St. Mary's Church Saalburg
The Protestant church of St. Marien is located in the center of Saalburg in the municipality of Saalburg-Ebersdorf in Thuringia, directly on the Bleiloch reservoir. The church was built near the village from 1206 to 1223 as the main church of the Cistercian nunnery "Zum Heiligen Kreuz". After the destruction around Schleiz during the Thirty Years' War, the village became the seat of the Reussian rule. This brief period of rule left its mark on the interior of the church in the stalls, the choir and the royal box. In 1847 and at the end of 1950, the former main church was renovated and partially modernized. Nevertheless, the remarkable traces of the past centuries have been preserved. For example, the high altar from 1665 by Berthold Pertes from Schleiz is still in the choir room. The baptismal font dates back to 1660. Three steel bells from 1920 hang in the church tower. The organ from 1842 was built by the Schleiz organ builder Schilling. The original wooden windows from the 1980s were replaced by concrete glass windows, which were built on site and installed by the artist. The church was extensively renovated in 1990, for example the colorful design of the galleries was restored. The vaulted ceiling was also restored to its pre-1856 style. What makes the church so special are the individual wooden reliefs created by wood sculptor Friedrich Popp (Apostles' Creed). To this day, church services, concerts and organ recitals are regularly held in the church.
Details
Germany
Saalburg-Ebersdorf OT Saalburg
07929
Marienkirchplatz