St. Peter's Chapel Schloßvippach
St. Peter's Chapel Schloßvippach
At the suggestion of St. Peter's Monastery in Erfurt, construction of the chapel began around 1100. A first documentary mention occurred in 1267 in connection with the sale of land to St. Martin's Hospital of the city of Erfurt.
In the years 1300 to 1350 Schloßvippach and thus also St. Peter's Chapel were damaged or destroyed by warlike conflicts between rival counts.
From 1350 the brothers of the "von Vippach" family started to rebuild the chapel. It was the main church of Schloßvippach until 1449. The bronze bell donated in this context is still present today and is thus probably one of the oldest bells in Thuringia.
The chapel was severely damaged during the Thirty Years' War. The remaining tower with the octagonal ridge turret was preserved and restored. It was not rebuilt as there was now a larger church in Schlossvippach, St. Vitus Church.
Details
Germany
Schloßvippach
99195
Lange Strasse 72