Town Church of St. Wenceslas with Hildebrandt Organ
As the most prominent church building and landmark of the council town of Naumburg, the Wenceslas Church is one of the most significant buildings on the Saale. The late Gothic building from 1426 received its west portal in 1510/1520 and a Baroque interior in 1724. The beautiful Hildebrandt organ is a jewel of baroque organ building tradition. Johann Sebastian Bach and Gottfried Silbermann took over the examination of this organ in 1746. The organ was extensively restored from 1993 to 2000. It is the only authentically preserved Bach organ in the world. From May to October, "Orgel punkt Zwölf" (30-minute organ concerts) are held on Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays at 12:00.
Among other things, the baroque high altar from 1680 and paintings from the workshop of Lucas Cranach the Elder are worth highlighting. Also noteworthy is the tombstone of August Leubelfing, page of the Swedish King Gustav Adolf. The steeple of the Lutheran Wenceslas Church, 72 meters high, is the highest tower in the city. It has a viewing platform in its steeple 53 meters above the ground, which is open daily from April to October. Six bells hang in the tower. The three larger ones were cast in 1518 by Martin Hilliger from Freiberg and have been hanging since 2000, restored, in a massive, late Gothic wooden belfry from 1521/23. In the tower lantern hangs the gate, school and confession bell from 1763, in addition to two clock chimes.