Wigberti Church
Wigberti Church
The Wigberti Church, a single-nave parish church completed around 1233, was probably founded by the Hersfeld monastery. The church tower, which was given a new spire in the mid-16th century, dates back to 1409. The late Gothic nave was built around 1434 and the choir between 1473 and 1475.
During the Reformation, the church repeatedly switched between Protestants and Catholics. When the Swedes occupied the city of Erfurt after their victory at Leipzig, it became a Swedish garrison church. It was not until Erfurt's recognition of the Peace of Prague in 1635 that the Wigberti Church was finally secured for the Catholics.
From 1653 to 1670, the church, which was in need of repair, was restored and in 1668 it was assigned to the newly built adjacent monastery of the Augustinian monks.
In connection with the construction of the new governor's office under the Mainz governor von Stromberg, the neighboring Wigberti Church became the court church in 1699. Six governors were buried here.
In 1822, the Prussian state abolished the monastery. The church became a Catholic parish church again.
On July 4, 2004, after two years of extensive renovation, the Wigberti community took possession of their newly designed church again with a festive service, the highlight of which was the consecration of the new altar.
Details
Germany
Erfurt
99084
Government Street 74