Fire department museum
Fire department museum
The history of the Mühlhausen fire department from its beginnings to the present day is documented in the fire department museum. The call to found a fire department was published in the district gazette of the time on September 15, 1862. This publication is the first tangible trace of a voluntary fire department - at that time a voluntary gymnast fire department (FTFW) - in the town. 95 gymnasts had registered on the list of the FTFW Mühlhausen just a few days later. In 1871, the statutes were amended and the FTWF was renamed the Mühlhausen Volunteer Fire Brigade. From then on, all suitable citizens could join the fire department.
Over the years and decades, acquired firefighting equipment and utensils became old, antique and some historically valuable. They no longer met the technical standard and were discarded. But they were not all thrown away or disposed of. They formed the basis for a fire department museum. This was opened in 1997, on the occasion of the 135th anniversary of the Mühlhausen fire department.
It was set up in the former vehicle and workshop hall.
The museum displays an interesting collection of historical fire-fighting equipment. The exhibits include an original horse-drawn fire engine from around 1890 and a photo documentation of the Mühlhausen fire department and its operations.
Details
Germany
Mulhouse
99974
Bast market 37