St. Marien Weida town church
St. Marien Weida town church
In the first half of the 13th century, a small chapel was built near the Franciscan monastery, which was first mentioned in 1267.
Construction of the early Gothic church began around 1350. After the Reformation, it became the only town and parish church in Weida. Destroyed by fire in 1633, the town church was rebuilt in 1644 with the help of donations from the Swedish army. It was completely renovated in 1833. The roof structure was renewed in 1990. The stained glass windows inside are worth seeing. As a church without a bell, "Sankt Marien" is one of Weida's landmarks. A memorial plaque in front of the church commemorates Duke Moritz Wilhelm of Saxony-Weida, who was buried under the altar in the former royal crypt.
Details
Germany
Weida
07570
Church square 3